The seven-year veteran of the national co-operative, who has been serving as interim CEO since February, is promoted to president and CEO. Prior, Artz, an Army veteran and Pennsylvania native, was both REI’s COO and CFO. Besides serving as Vice Chairman of the Outdoor Industry Association, Artz is a director on the Mountains to Sound Greenway Trust in Washington State and an advisor to Earth Lab within the College of the Environment at the University of Washington.
Speaking at REI’s annual member meeting at a Washington, D.C. store last week, Artz said the 18+ million member co-op will focus on making an impact for the communities it serves and redouble its efforts to connect new people with the outdoors. In 2019, REI’s philanthropic giving is projected to cross the $100 million mark. (photo)
• Fjällräven sees Nathan Dopp promoted to global VP of parent Fenix Outdoor Intl. AG where he will continue to lead the business in the Americas and contribute to the global leadership team across the Swedish company’s portfolio of brands. Also, Fjällräven hires Jean-Marie Shields, formerly with Starbucks, lululemon and Nike, as VP of brand experience.
• Genesco CFO Mimi Vaughn was promoted to COO of the Nashville company on May 1. She was a McKinsey & Co. earlier in her career.
• Saucony promotes Joe Toth, GM of its Canadian operation, to VP of U.S. sales and names Courtney Moore, formerly director of national accounts for Confluence Outdoor, to director of sales for the East.
• Wolverine Worldwide names David W. McCreight, former president of URBN, Inc. and past president of Under Armour and Lands End, to its board to replace the retiring Joseph R. Gromek.
• Jim Rudyk, CFO for Roots, resigns, effective Aug. 9.
• Camping World adds former West Marine executive Peter Jelinek as SVP of strategy, merchandising and product development.
• Former Hibbett Sports’ CFO Scott Bowman is named CFO for Dave & Buster’s Entertainment.